Fiber optics has several advantages over traditional copper line:
- SPEED: Fiber networks operate at high speed. starting from 1Gbps to limitless speed.
- BANDWIDTH: Fiber optic cables have a much greater bandwidth than metal cables. Thus carrying more data.
- RESISTANCE: Fiber optic cables are less susceptible than metal cables to interference. Greater resistance to electromagnetic noise.
- DISTANCE: Signals can be transmitted further without needing a repeater or signal booster.
- LIGHTER: Fiber optic cables are much thinner and lighter than metal wires.
- DIGITAL: Data can be transmitted digitally (the natural form for computer data) rather than analogically.
- MAINTENANCE: Fiber optic cables cost much less to maintain compare to copper lines.